Thursday, November 10, 2011

Day 10: My Mother

Where do I even begin? Of all the things I could list this month, this is at the top. There is no doubt that my mom is my hero and best friend. Everything I am, I owe to her. She has blessed my life in more ways than I can begin to express. I'll attempt to make a list, but know that no amount of words could ever express the love and gratitude I have for her.
  • My mom is my best friend. I tell her absolutely everything. Do I call her every single day? Yes. She listens so selflessly. Not only that, but she always knows how to help. We go on drives and discuss everything under the sun. I can and do tell her anything and everything. She is incredibly patient to whole-heartedly listen to my every word. I can't count the late nights she spend letting me cry to her while she played with my hair and told me she loved me. 
  • I love spending time with her. She makes me smile when I'm around her. Even when we aren't doing anything particular, I love to just be around her. She is always excited to see me and makes me feel loved. We love to go for drives up the canyon or to have girl talk late into the night.
  • She is incredibly talented. My mom can do pretty much anything. Sew, cook, bake, paint, restore 100 year old houses :), decorate, embroider, crochet, stain glass, canning, dutch oven cooking, takes care of the chickens, quilting, cleaning, yard work, reupholstering, gardening, you name it! She even does sprinkler systems! Not only that, but she is an incredible secretary at the Monroe Seminary. The helps the students feel the love of the Savior and manages to keep the teachers under control. She is an INCREDIBLE homemaker. Our home was always a place of peace. 
  • She is selfless. My mother never, EVER thinks of herself. She never requests a television show to watch, where to vacation, how to spend a saturday, or says no to someone asking for help. She is always willing to make someone a meal, hem a pair of pants, or bake a favorite dessert. She makes great sacrifices for her children, including six weeks in the hospital with my sister, and driving to California to spend several weeks helping my brother when he was in need. She sacrifices her own desires to pay for her kids' schooling and other needs. She endured two deployments with patience and faith. Today she drove to Provo to go to the doctor's office with me when I didn't feel like I could go by myself. She sacrificed a second income in order to stay home with her children, to raise us in the gospel. She always woke up with us in the morning, made us a hot breakfast and made sure we were to school on time. She spent her time in the PTA and volunteering to assist our education. She's made countless Halloween costumes and Christmas dresses, suffered through hours of painful piano practicing, and endured many unfinished projects. 
  • She is an incredible example of Christ. The more I study the Savior, the more I realize my mom is an incredible disciple of Him. As my mother, she has never judged me. She never tells me that my best isn't enough or that I'm doing something wrong. She loves each of us wholly and completely, without even a thought of doing otherwise. While we, as her children, have made our own choices-good and bad, she has always been there right beside us loving and supporting us. No matter how stupid or selfish I can be, she is always there ready to help. She never thinks twice about service. She humbly goes about doing her best and never asking for praise or recognition. She has truly made home a heaven on earth. I feel like my best self when I am with her. She always lets me know that I am welcome at home and excitedly greets me when I arrive. 
The list could go on and on. I am guilty of not showing enough appreciation for all my mother does. What a blessing it is to have her in my life. She is truly one of the GREATEST gifts Heavenly Father has given me. As I've taken several family classes, I've realized just how blessed I have been. Because of her, I have the testimony I do. Because of her, I am happy with my life and who I am. Because of her, I want my family to be together forever. Because of her obedience and commitment to covenants, we CAN be together forever! I will be doing well if I could be half the woman she is. To my mother, I owe that I have. 



No comments:

Post a Comment